Last updated: March 21, 2022
Our reopening measures are constantly evolving in response to provincial rules. We urge you to read this page completely and contact us if you have any further questions or concerns.
Current situation and assessment of COVID-19
*Face coverings / masks are required at this time.
Heritage Music Academy (HMA) will continue to monitor the recommendations received from Public Health, as well as taking direction from our Provincial and Federal leaders on how to proceed through the pandemic. As advised by the Stop the Spread hotline, HMA will adhere to O. Reg. 364/20 Schedule relating to modified step 3 restrictions for in-person instruction business.
While all HMA staff are considered fully vaccinated1, some being triple-vaccinated, and all of our student base eligiable for their full COVID-19 vaccine series (ages 5 and above), HMA continues to enact higher-than required health protocols including more frequent cleanings, non-medical face coverings for all while inside the premise, and teachers using demonstration instruments. Furthermore, we can only run vocal, woodwind and brass lessons with students that are fully vaccinated1 due to a highly increased risk of aerosol dispersement within a close proximity (with eligibily check via one-time enhanced QR code scan).
While proof of vaccine is not demanded for most students and all visitors, we ask that you respect the health and safety of the community by abiding to the public health safety guidelines set out by this document. If you have symptoms of COVID-19 or other illness, unable to follow the in-person safety precautions, or do not feel safe to come on-site for lessons, HMA will service you utilizing alternative means – including online and/or outside lessons.
1 Fully vaccinated is defined as an individual ≥14 days after receiving their full series of COVID-19 vaccine series. (https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/publichealth/coronavirus/docs/contact_mngmt/COVID-19_fully_vaccinated_interim_guidance.pdf v3.0, Oct 12 2021)
COVID-19 self-assessment for in-person lesson
By allowing our teacher at your home or you arriving on HMA premise, you have self-declared that you are COVID-19 negative and free of communicable diseases.
You may perform a COVID-19 screening from https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/
Based on our reopening guidelines (available for viewing on-premises as per PHU regulations), Heritage Music Academy utilizes a 5-colour level operational model to determine our ability to operate.
|School Operations||Remote only||Remote with in-person as an exception||Remote and in-person||Remote and in-person||Remote and in-person|
|Non-medical Masks||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required while COVID-19 or other uncontrollable diseases are not in control|
|Site Limits||Essential maintenance or material gathering only. One staff only with exception of maintenance.||3 staff members. 6 patrons.||6 staff members. 10 patrons.||No staff limit, 10 patrons maximum||No staff limit, 15 patrons maximum|
|Visit scheduling||Online (pre-arranged)||Scheduled lessons and pre-arranged visits only||Scheduled lessons and walk-in inquiries||Scheduled lessons and walk-in inquiries||Scheduled lessons and walk-in inquiries|
|Online lessons||Yes||Yes||As requested||As requested||As requested|
|Remote Exam Rooms||No||Exception||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Product Purchasing||Curbside Delivery||Curbside Delivery||On-site and Curbside||On-site||On-site|
|In-school amenities||N/A||3 waiting chairs. Washroom for handwashing only.||3 waiting chairs. Washroom.||3 waiting chairs. Washroom.||All waiting chairs, washroom.|
* Vocal lessons are to be remote until we move to yellow.
As Heritage Music Academy re-opens its doors to physical lessons, we have enacted these measures to increase confidence, increase safety and comply with re-opening requirements. We will continue to adopt new requirements as the situation changes, and inform our school population as needed. Our available amentiies and limits will be dictated by our operational model.
Arriving at School
- Walk-ins are discouraged
- Try to limit your on-site time and wait in your vehicle during your student’s lesson if possible
- Visitors should arrive 5 (five) minutes before the scheduled appointment to sanitize their hands
- All who enter the school must be symptom-free in accordance with the Government of Ontario’s self-assessment form – https://covid-19.ontario.ca/screening/customer/
- Non-medical face coverings are required – no exceptions are granted if you choose in-person lessons
- No outside food or drink allowed, with exception of closed water bottles
While the school provides hand sanitizers and access to the washroom for hand-washing, for added safety please bring your own pen to fill out the contact tracing form. The school reserves all rights to turn away visitors not adhering to the policies.
Waiting for Lesson
- The waiting area will have limited chairs (as per operational model) grouped and distanced at least 1m apart. These are reserved for immediate student and guardian only unless there is excess capacity.
- A plexiglass shield will be placed at the front reception desk
During your Lesson
- A separate instructor instrument will be used to demonstrate concepts
- Lesson rooms will be cleaned daily, with keys being sanitized if required between lessons
- Non-medical masks or face coverings are required while in the school premises
- Students are encouraged to stay at their instrument throughout the class to respect distancing requirements
Temporary School Changes
In addition to operational changes, the following services will be temporarily changed to achieve our safety goals:
- All public magazines, books, toys, colouring pencils/markers/crayons and colouring sheets will not be made available. Students waiting must bring their own books to read before the lesson.
- The kitchenette is off-limits to public use.
- Frequently touched surfaces will be disinfected daily, including doorknobs and piano keys
- All high-touch areas will be sanitized before the opening of the school, including surfaces, piano keys and door handles.
- Surfaces may be sanitized more frequently if deemed necessary.